Monday, June 25, 2018

Blog Post #3: Ch. 7 / are today's youth digital natives?

Image result for digital native
Reflecting on today's class discussion and readings, I now have a better understanding of both Boyd's and Prensky's view points in regards to the term "digital native." Below you will find the highlights that resonated with me the most.

For instance, Boyd stated that we shouldn't assume that teens have the knowledge and skillset to make the most of their online experience due to the fact that they know their way around social media sites. She believes that this notion alone can become a huge disadvantage to teens and could cause more harm than good. She also referenced that it's our jobs as adults to inform and teach students about being able to critically examine what they consume digitally. I agree with this particular stance because, it's very important that we teach our students to critically examine the source that they are gathering information when using digital resources. It's essential that they know and understand the biases that are sometimes found on different media outlets, media sources and websites found online.

Prensky's definition of a "digital native" is centered around the notion of children growing up surrounded by technology. Therefore, he views them as being more comfortable with digital sources, multi-tasking and that they prefer instant gratification and frequent rewards. I agree with this particular viewpoint due to the fact that these characteristics are seen in my classroom daily. For instance, my students love having access to the computers during reading and math rotations. They view the computer station as "fun-time" because in their minds they are playing games, when in reality they are reviewing previously taught reading and math skills. This is one of the reasons as to why we as educators must continuously find ways to keep students engaged in learning.

On a side note, the reference about "Google" knowing everything resonated with me a lot because, I must confess, I too am at fault to this false sense of knowledge. I tend to resort to Google for unanswered questions that I may have about an unknown topic and assume that it must be correct because it's a trusted site. Moving forward, I will keep this article in the back of my mind when referring to Google.




5 comments:

  1. Critical examination of sources is the same sticking point that I had with the chapter we read tonight. It is extremely difficult to get students to understand that the first link may not be the best link. Especially when they just want to be done with the assignment. There definitely needs to be media literacy classes, and they could take the place of technology classes our outdated keyboarding classes (I know they still exist today.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening,

    I am in agreement that we as educators must teach critical-thinking skills even more now than ever. Because the natives are vulnerable to all sorts of information, they should know how to navigate between truths and untruths. With alternative facts being more rampant, our youth need necessary discernment to assess its validity or reliability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Porsche!

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I completely agree with what you said and feel the same way. While children may feel more comfortable using technology, they still need guidance. Additionally, I also use google often even though I know not everything I google is true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Porsche-I'm guilty of googling too! It's so easy to just "google it", I don't often think of how reputable the information I'm getting is.
    Like your students, my kindergartners love using the computer and think of it as a game even though they're working on academic skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Students know so much more than we did when we were their age due to the information age. I agree with Prensky that they are more comfortable with digital devices, but that definitely does not make them experts at finding viable online sources or developing critical thinking skills as they surf the internet.

    ReplyDelete

Final Narrative

How can I create and cultivate a positive learning classroom environment so that my students have an educational setting in where they can ...