Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Blog Post #4: Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us

Image result for princess and the frog
I remember watching, reading and listening to Disney fairytales growing up. However, I don't recall being overly obsessed with Disney themed stories and/or movies during my own childhood. To be quite honest, the most excitement that I ever had for a Disney themed movie was when Princess and the Frog first came out. I remember purchasing Disney merchandise for my children as a result of this movie. This particular movie created a buzz in my household because my two daughters were able to see a resemblance of themselves in a Disney Princess. Reflecting back, I was also excited and proud because Princess Tiana was played by Anika Noni Rose.  

Christensen pointed out some interesting, yet valid concerns in regards to Disney's depiction of characters. I understand and support her stance on making sure that students are aware of the biases and negative stereotypes that are often illustrated in Disney movies and stories. However, I think that this could easily be noted in not only Disney movies but television shows, commercials, ads and so on.

Moving forward, I will begin to look at storybooks and movies with a different analytical lens when selecting appropriate stories for my students to listen to and read. I will begin asking myself some of those reflective questions mentioned in tonights readings on page 193.

In regards to Frozen, I was able to look at the ending much differently than before. I really focused in on the relationship between Anna and Elsa and enjoyed seeing the sisterly love and connection between the two of them this time around. Their connection resonated with me a lot because I reflected on my relationship with my sister as well as the relationship between my two daughters. I'm always reminding them that FAMILY is always first, no matter what.  

Image result for anna and elsa sisters forever
Frozen also challenged the princess culture because they were not damsels in distress. Both Anna and Elsa were strong minded individuals. In the end, their love for each other is what saved them.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bianca, it seems that you found a relatable piece in the Disney Movie Frozen. I agree with you, as a parent we want our children to put each other first and be their for each other no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, sorry Porsche! I addressed you as Bianca! I thought I clicked on her name and read her post. Still, my message is the same; just meant for your post, not Bianca's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porsche,

    I too can relate to the sister connection and I enjoyed it more during the second viewing. I agree that we need to pay close attention to what we read to our students and use in the classroom. Because I teach high school students, I think they would get a lot out of doing a critique of a Disney film or media similar to what we did with Britany today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reflective questions are really getting to me too. Even only 2 days into the class, I'm wondering, how can I look at any type of media the way I used to, ever again? I will always be viewing it with a critical lens and as frustrating as the thought it (right now anyway; I'm sure we will get used to it!), I certainly see the value in it and have a new appreciation for the critical lens

    ReplyDelete

Final Narrative

How can I create and cultivate a positive learning classroom environment so that my students have an educational setting in where they can ...